Scandalous Cosmetics?

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenLeiBlu
okay, I am hearing from an artist unaffiliated with any brand that Scandalous is the same product as Medusa's Makeup (Medusa's Make-Up bright mineral eyeshadow, pure pigment, all natural makeup), and that they're just labeled differently. Based on Scandalous' first shadow base video and the pics on medusa's site, I think she may be right. Can anyone with experience with both brands offer a second opinion? Hell, Medusa is cheaper and readily available online, so if this is true, I'll just go there instead

Looking at the eyeshadows, I believe you are onto something here, girl.

DiorLover

Yes it is. Scandalous=Medusa= Private Label. This is not an uncommon practice and some of the MU lines we know and love are private label. The difference is that Medusa has paid extra to have their cosmetics custom labeled and renamed, Scandalous has not.

Same products.

spacegirl2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiorLover
Yes it is. Scandalous=Medusa= Private Label. This is not an uncommon practice and some of the MU lines we know and love are private label. The difference is that Medusa has paid extra to have their cosmetics custom labeled and renamed, Scandalous has not.

Same products.

thank you for confirming my suspicions!

MzEmo

I just recieved the primer from my ebay order yesterday. They also sent me a free eyeshadow called gold digger too. I have dry skin and the primer is sort of to oily and waxy for me. Eyeshadows stick really well to it though. IMO it feels like halloween oil based makeup... It certainly does crease but the eyeshadow is amazing. True to its color and the eyeshadow is very soft. This base is alright but i think it is better than the UDPP. HTH some of you guys in deciding.

CellyCell

Quote:
okay, I am hearing from an artist unaffiliated with any brand that Scandalous is the same product as Medusa's Makeup (Medusa's Make-Up bright mineral eyeshadow, pure pigment, all natural makeup), and that they're just labeled differently. Based on Scandalous' first shadow base video and the pics on medusa's site, I think she may be right. Can anyone with experience with both brands offer a second opinion? Hell, Medusa is cheaper and readily available online, so if this is true, I'll just go there instead

I was looking at their Myspace pictures of them promoting in Torrid before searching Specktra and read through all the drama, it popped into my head that it could be Medusa as well. Isn't that product sold at Hot Topic? Torrid is under Hot Topic, so I made that connection.

And the shadow she used for her primer/base video looks a hell of a lot like this:
shadow10.jpg

I just think her (that youtube chick) shadow looks good/bright because she uses proper bases (white base makes anything pop) and has skills. I don't like NYX anymore but seen people work the hell of it and make it look good, even if all the products aren't so - I can only imagine Scandelous being sorta like that.

user79

I hate when lines basically just rebrand cheaper brands - it should be illegal. LOL! Napoleon Perdis even does it with La Femme. Why pay more when you can get the same product for much less.

MzEmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I hate when lines basically just rebrand cheaper brands - it should be illegal. LOL! Napoleon Perdis even does it with La Femme. Why pay more when you can get the same product for much less.

I hate that too. I didn't notice that scandalous was re branded until i received the primer in the mail. They just use cheap stickers to "repackage" as their own. I had no idea that napoleon perdis does that too...interesting

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzEmo
I hate that too. I didn't notice that scandalous was re branded until i received the primer in the mail. They just use cheap stickers to "repackage" as their own. I had no idea that napoleon perdis does that too...interesting

Could you take pics of the primer? I want to see how it compares to my TKB trading primer (which sucks IMO).

ladylynn

i just picked up some of the shadows and the eye primer at the mall!! thisnis the # to call to order stuff so they told me 213-746-9100 Quote:
I'm nowhere near Cali, and I can't find a website for them other than their myspace page, which is sucky, by the way. Anyone know how to get a hold of someone there to see colors, prices and buy?

ladylynn

im a die hard MAC fan!!! and im open to trying out new lines! but i will never leave MAC!!!! it's just that sometimes u see diff colors that certin lines dont carry and thats what catches ur attention thats what did it for me with this new scandalous line. the bright shadows that mac dosnt carry!!! thats why i bought a mufe purple shadow, mac dosnt have one.

DigitalRain

This is a very informative thread

I almost bought the primer on ebay but Im hearing it creases and its oily and waxy. Im still interested in the shadows though.

MAC_Whore

Wow...I'm late the the party on all of this. lol

That primer comparison vid is a joke.

1. She rubbed off most of the shadestick and UDPP when she was supposedly "blending" them in and slathered on the Scandalous primer

2. As many have mentioned, you will get a much more vibrant colour when using a white base as opposed to a beige (shadestick) or mostly transparent base (UDPP). She was comparing apples to oranges. Try comparing the Scandalous base to a MAC Paint Stick in white or MAC CCB in Luna.

3. She put the Scandalous primer on top of the pink spot she already had on her hand. That played a part in deepening the colour.

4. She swabbed the shadow to apply on the Scandalous primer when she still had primer on her finger, thus allowing for more shadow to be picked up and then applied to the Scandalous primer spot.

5. She tapped on the shadow over the Scandalous primer, and rubbed the shadow on the other primers. It also appeared that she used less pressure when applying to the MAC and UDPP.

MissResha

someone please enlighten me, but whats TKB? I saw Napoleon Perdis at Target and its really expensive for what you get IMO. some of the colors were pretty though. i'm all about cheaper routes lol.

MAC_Whore

I look at their unethical tactics and marketing and see it for what it is, youthful inexperience and hubris. I am always suspicious of a company whose main tactic is to disparage their competitors. If your product is a great product, it speaks for itself. If one's product has a weakness, one may try to misdirect to draw attention away from its flaws. Say, for example, by bashing others. It just shows insecurity.

There are plenty of manufacturers out there who have product lines available for someone to come along and sell as their own. A quick google of "cosmetic manufacturers" brought up this site: Eye shadow Manufacturers to North America. I find it funny that they are touting the excellent qualities of their products, yet the reality is they probably didn't sit in an R&D lab and test, discuss and formulate their products. They have those products most likely as a happenstance result of cost: They found a supplier who could give them the makeup at a price they could afford. Where it came from, who knows? Are they safe? Probably? Maybe? They just don't instill any confidence.

They bash MAC, yet they emulate them? For piss sakes, if MAC hadn't paved the way for bold makeup, Scandalous wouldn't even have a market.

Props to anyone who is trying to start their own business and make a name for themselves, but do it right.

MissResha

^^LMAO preach! i too was turned off by the MAC bashing. if your product is better, let the customer be the judge.