Thanks for the $900, Hello Kitty here I come.

simplyenchantin

I'm with you on the parent thing, darkorchid. My dad isn't working at the moment either but he is in the middle of building houses and is struggling so I try to give him money when I can.. unfortunately March is my super poor month lol. Both of my parents' birthdays, as well as back to uni which means spending extra money on books and working less! I'm glad I didn't do much of a HK haul lol. I've got about $100 til next week
greengrin.gif

CatsMeow

$100K? I'd like to be on those biccies! heheh

I wonder when the economy will pick up again? One can only hope that it will be soon. I noticed they are restricting the number of skilled migrants into Oz now. Apparently, there's thousands of Aussie expats leaving the UK every week. Rah... so depressing.

jrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkorchid
I agree with Simplyenchantin - if you earn 100k , you don't need it as badly as others :S

My base salary is less than $100K but with extra work I do to try and make ends-meet and pay off my debt pushes it to just on about that figure.

... I'm also in nearly $50,000 of debt from 2 years when I basically earned barely 15K one year and less then 10K the other year and was forced to live off my credit card (from a mixture of a failed business and clients that reneged paying on work completed). During that time - for many complicated reasons - I wasn't on any sort of government benefits and was not having a particularly good time (and probably should have declared bankruptcy...)

Eh, I'm probably a sucker - I've been screwed over by one friend for $2000 and another for over $5000 in the past decade. I just get frustrated that when I try and do the right thing in my mind (try not to be a burden by using welfare), or help out friends that I end up in a bad situation. If this 'stimulus' had happened only a few years ago I would met the criteria without trying ..

billy_cakes

You girls have to consider her tax rate though, she would be loosing nearly half on that in tax so really she has about the same disposible income as most middle of the range income earners

simplyenchantin

Doesn't tax work exponentially? Sure, at a certain $ figure it would matter very little if you earnt more or less due to the amount you get taxed, but that would be pretty high up there and I doubt many people would be up there anyway.

My brother earns over $100k due to doing contracting work, yes he gets taxed a shit load, but he still earns significantly more (and thus has more disposable income) compared to when he was on a $70k salary.

I think everyone knows that just because you earn over $100k you don't get that amount in your pocket, but everyone pays tax based on what they earn so it evens out in my mind, and if it made no difference if you earnt $100k or $60k, why would people bother going for jobs with "more responsibility"? I guess it just hurts your wallet when you realise how much you're getting taxed.

simplyenchantin

You might hate it but it supplies you with things you probably take for granted like roads, hospitals, schools, health care etc :p

darkorchid

^^ Yeah. I guess what sucks about that is the apparent mismanagement then of the funds (I hope I have said that right). I mean, hospitals not being upgraded properly, the state of the public transport system and roads! I think NSW has some of the worst roads ever. They tear them up and then relay them shoddy, they fill pot holes only to have them open up again weeks later :S It sucks.

simplyenchantin

I just found out I get my money on wednesday! Score! So I'm set for a sugarsweet CP, does anybody in Melbourne want anything from US and we can chip in on shipping? Let me know people
greengrin.gif
(I already have a girl willing to do it)

*lolly

I know someone who is a full time student and doesn't pay any taxes, but she had to lodge a tax return for the year because of an error, and she claims that she'll be receiving the $900 Tax Bonus (Not the other centrelink one)... is that fair?! She hasn't worked her whole life nor does she pay any income tax so why should she be entitled to the $900??

Sorry, I'm just frustrated that someone can get the package for not paying inome tax.... and it's that time of the month hehe
blush-anim-cl.gif

simplyenchantin

How could a person be forced to lodge a tax return "in error" if they haven't worked/earnt a cent in their life? Sounds dodgy to me. If you don't pay tax, you don't have to lodge a tax return. I had to submit a form to the ATO stating a reason why I don't have to lodge a tax return (coz I essentially don't have enough taxable income).

*lolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyenchantin
How could a person be forced to lodge a tax return "in error" if they haven't worked/earnt a cent in their life? Sounds dodgy to me. If you don't pay tax, you don't have to lodge a tax return. I had to submit a form to the ATO stating a reason why I don't have to lodge a tax return (coz I essentially don't have enough taxable income).

I just got off the phone to her and she said that she lodged a tax return because she thought she had to, and she paid tax but they refunded it all back to her....
th_dunno.gif
But by reading the Factsheet on the ATO's website it says that you must have had a tax liability of more then $0 - so technically she had no tax liability because they refunded it all back?!
th_confused_new.gif

simplyenchantin

You're right. Ironically I was talking to a friend of mine on MSN 5 minutes ago, and he's upset coz he ALSO got refunded all his tax back (thus paid no tax) and therefore he doesn't qualify. That whole notion stinks of unfairness as far as I'm concerned. He probably earns so little and pays so little tax that they refund all his tax, if they bothered refunding him his tax - 5c, he'd qualify for the money. How dodgy is that?!

rockin26

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyenchantin
I just found out I get my money on wednesday! Score! So I'm set for a sugarsweet CP, does anybody in Melbourne want anything from US and we can chip in on shipping? Let me know people
greengrin.gif
(I already have a girl willing to do it)

Hey mate, I might be in on this, when do you need to know by?

simplyenchantin

Whenever you want hun, I gave the girl a list of stuff I want today but she hasn't replied yet and I haven't paid anything
smiles.gif
So take your time!

Paramnesia

I know centrelink payments are classified as an income and have to lodge a tax return. When I was studying I was supposed to, you get a group cert. from centrelink.

Latest posts