Your Starter Brand

Marielle001

What brand of make-up did you start out with, back in the good old days? What brand got you interested in the first place?

For me... it was Covergirl at the age of 13! I used to buy their drugstore eyeshadow palletes and feel so scandolous spending my 5 dollars on make-up. =) Then I lived off of free-gift Clinque my mom didn't want before graduating to MAC.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Originally it was Mary Kay. My mom didn't like the idea of me wearing drug store makeup, so she had a Mark Kay party for me and some friends (I think I might have been 13 too) and she got me everything I needed - Liquid foundation, powder, a blush, 3 eye shadows, clear lipgloss and a lip stick I think. After that I experimented with some Stila products at Nordstrom (I got Jezebel and Cassis e/s and a lip gloss palette) and it was no looking back after that. I ditched the Mary Kay not too long afterward.

lara

MAC. I only started wearing make-up in my early 20's, so I skipped past all the drugstore stuff.

redambition

i started on cheapie stuff. covergirl, australis, rimmel.

then got the MAC bug
winks.gif

prinzessin784

I started out with various DS brands, mostly just Lip Smackers though, then the colored lipglosses from Bonne Belle. My sister brought me to Clinique for a color match when I was 15 and then she bought me Clinique stuff for a couple years. Then when I started college I discovered Sephora, and I was in love with Urban Decay and that retarded Jessica Simpson brand haha. I didn't get hooked on MAC until my junior year of college (2004) when I saw someone use Phloof! e/s in an FOTD on LJ. I had to have it!

pookus

It was L'Oreal for me... my mom was big into Lancome at the time (this was about 18 years ago (crap, that makes me sound ooooooooold) and since L'Oreal was so similar - I didn't know how they were related - it was fun for me to be able to mimic some of those products. As soon as I started making any amount of decent money I branched out into other brands, but I only started obsessing in my late 20's lol

Love Always Ivy

my first eyeshadow was this hideous matte sky blue color from jane and i looked like an idiot wearing it my freshman year of highschool. my first foundations were covergirl. i really liked aqua smooth.

my first high end m/u was a palette from UD that my aunt got me for my 16th birthday. it was a silver palette with 4 shadows (acid rain, midnight cowboy rides again, crash and grifter), 4 glosses (one was asphyxia) and X blush. ever since then ive been obsessed with UD and still am

ive since become obsessed with and collect NARs, Smashbox and i recently started on MAC, since my collection of NARs and UD are virtually complete.

Beauty Mark

Almay, Bonne Bell's teen line (the one with the color glosses), Jane, Revlon's Streetwear line or whatever the line that looked kind of like Urban Decay stuff was like.

Krasevayadancer

For me it started out of necessity: i would buy loreal for my dance recitals and competitions. It wasn't until my sophomore year in highschool that i turned to lancome and sephora brands like urban decay.

My mac bug hit me january of 2007 :-D

VioletB

This is a fun thread..
smiles.gif
My mom took me to the Clinique counter when I was in junior high and bought me stuff. That, and used lip smackers.
smiles.gif
I didn't start wearing foundation till I started with Lauder when I was 21.. so then I started using all Lauder stuff with MAC added in.
smiles.gif

girlstar

Welll...

When I was really young, I used to play makeup with my best friend, and we had a crapload of her Mom's unwanted makeup. And my Mom HATED me wearing makeup!

Then, when I was 6-10ish, I used to take this pallette my Mom had hidden.. it was really cheapie stuff, but tons of e/s, blush, lipstick and all the brushes you needed! But I only would take it to my dance performances.. no doubt I ended up on stage with bright blue eyeshadow! She was so mad when she found out I had been into it
greengrin.gif

It wasn't until I was 15 when I used makeup again, and I used Bonne Bell and Maybelline d/s crap..
smiles.gif
But it was always a pain in the butt, because d/s foundation was always too yellow/too peach/too dark! So my Aunt took me to MAC so I finally got a foundation that matched my skintone
greengrin.gif

Hilly

Do yall remember those makeup pallets sold at grocery stores or drug stores where you would get lippies, blushes, and eyeshadows. The pallet was like hot pink and el cheapo!
The eyeshadows looked like mini lipsticks stacked within them. They were such wierd colors and very waxy. I can still remember the smell lol.

mjalomo

I started with Alexandra de Markoff and Borghese when I was a senior in high school. I didn't wear makeup before that (except lipstick-Loreal), but my mom didn't want me to look so casual in my senior pictures. Then the Nakeds line from Ultima II came around and I owned that collection. Then I went back to Borghese (for work) until I discovered MAC on Makeup Alley (which led me to Specktra).

LaChinita

I started with a no-name brand e/s makeup kit my dad got me for my bday. I actually only used that for a little bit because I was only 13 I think at that time and the colors were too bright! Then when I got to high school I used CoverGirl too (I actually used this til I was about 18 or 19, I confess! Until I discovered MAC and NYX, which is a drugstore brand but IMHO is up to par in terms of pigmentation) But anyway I stuck to neutrals at first. Boring!
smiles.gif

dmenchi

clinique, shu and stealing from my mom chanel & dior!!!
now i prefer MAc over shu bercause i live in the staates now, so they have stores everywhere
smiles.gif

Latest posts