MAC - Prolongwear Discussion

dreamer246

I'm gonna get Overtime in a swap! The original owner said it had the same swiveling problem (as we all know by now), but technically I'm not paying for the lippie because I'm swapping for it. So all's good - I get to try out the formula without forking out any cash, never mind that the tube is wonky then.
greengrin.gif

Mindbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camnagem
Have you tried it without the UD spray?

It's been mentioned that this foundation will change a bit with certain MAC oils and Fix+ so maybe it's doing the same thing with that spray. Give it a try without the setting spray and let us know if that helps at all.

Well, I tried it without the spray and it was even worse! It looked cakey almost immediately, it moved off my skin, transferred on contact, I just don't know what i'm doing wrong!? Would it be better with no primer perhaps?

Pinkdollface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindbear
Well, I tried it without the spray and it was even worse! It looked cakey almost immediately, it moved off my skin, transferred on contact, I just don't know what i'm doing wrong!? Would it be better with no primer perhaps?

I don't own this foundation, but maybe it helps if you use less product
th_dunno.gif

Fiberluver

^Maybe you should use the foundation w/out primer and everything else you use on your face. This foundation may not need a base. Just moisturize and then put the foundation on. Maybe you should do 1 pump, apply and then if you need another pump go ahead and apply. If this doesn't work you should chat w/MAC or take it back or call your local MAC counter for help.

Fiberluver

I just mucked about w/my PLW l/s.

Goes & Goes retracts correctly but Love Forever doesn't. I had to push it down with a lip brush. I think i will call customer service in the morning to complain. I wonder if the problem is with certain shades?

MissBrittB87

I'm really considering getting this foundation and concealer. I need a new foundation badly. I normally use MAC Studio Sculpt in NC 15 and that's a good match for me but I want something a little less....heavy looking. Would you guys recommend I get ProLongwear in NC15? There seems to be a good mix of positive, neutral and negative-ish reviews so I'm struggling with a decision:-(

Sass

I just got my Prolongwear Foundation and Concealer and I love them! I'm not so sure about my concealer color, but I think it works well. In SFF I am NC50 in foundation and NW45 in Studio Finish. In PLW I am NW50 and NC50 in the concealer. I'm thinking I should have gone with NC45 for the concealer, but I shall see about that.

I wore the foundation today at medium coverage (I am a full cover girl normally - but my hyperpig is going away thankfully) and I have to say that it lasted 8 hours without moving and the best thing about it is that it goes on easy (with my fingers) and it looks natural on my face. It doesn't feel like anything is on my face and it doesn't looked caked on. I like that it has a pump (wonderful) and that the concealer is in a tube with a pump as well - so it won't get nasty like my Studio Finish. I didn't set my foundation, didn't need to with this one. And blotting on it didn't mess it up, it just cleaned up the oil. I have a habit of touching my face and I noticed that I didn't turn anything brown or smudge anything up- my Iphone was clean for once - sweet!

Hubby said it looked like I wasn't wearing any foundation. Sweet! Wayne Goss was the one who sealed the deal for me. He gave it two thumbs up (finallly - waited a long time for that recent revies) so I scurried down to MAC and picked it up. I like it better than any of the other foundations I've tried out so far...SFF, MUFE Mat Velvet and NARS Sheer Mat.

shontay07108

I'm wondering if I try NW50 in this foundation instead of NC50 will it be less red looking? I don't know how that works. I lvoe this foundation,but it looks really red on me so I'm wondering if I should try NW. Maybe it's a lost cause.

martiangurll

The most annoying part of this foundation is that it makes skin look dry so easily. Especially I hate that it makes my nose look dry! Even sometimes after a heavy moisturizing it still looks dry on some parts. Even mixed with the mineralize all over lotion. And I don't want to look dry. Wow, I said dry many times.
thmbdn.gif
Sometimes I don't know if it's the foundation or does the dryness come after setting powder. I've tried it with Prep&Prime powder as well as MSFN, no difference (except for undereyes, MSFN does not work with the prolongwear concealer concealer for me, looks super dry immediately!P&P is much better there). I still for some reason want to make it work, it was so promising at first.
I have been exfoliating religiously and using moisturizer with retinol consistently and this isn't happening any more for me with this foundation. I think that the key is if you have flakey or dry skin, you have to really moisturize to get this to work. It probably works best for folks with oily skin and once its on, it stays put pretty well. My nose is always on oil slick by 5 pm so it slips off there for me, but otherwise this is good. BTW, I tried primer first and it doesn't help. I think the foundation works best without a primer. Fix helps it look a little cakey but probably makes it last less hours. I don't get 16 hours in my tzone, but the rest of the face it stays until I take it off.

I really wanted to try the longwear lippies but you guys are scaring me with the malfunctioning tubes...

Anyone know if this foundation has adequate UVA protection or are you using an SPF moisturizer underneath??? If you use a moisturizer, what do you use??? I was thinking of trying the Strobe cream but not sure that has SPF...

sss215

I'm wondering if I try NW50 in this foundation instead of NC50 will it be less red looking? I don't know how that works. I lvoe this foundation,but it looks really red on me so I'm wondering if I should try NW. Maybe it's a lost cause.

in the grand scheme of things the darker NW foundations, tend to run red/orange. For some reason, NW50 is not this time around. i was going to get it and it greyed out on me. NW50 may be too dark you you. didn't you say you were NC45 in other MAC formulas? Maybe try NW45 in this formula. This foundation is really good but the color matchings are messed up. i had to get so many samples before i realized that the NW50 concealer and the NW45 foundation made up the perfect color. good thing you don't have to use much, cause i am not one for buying two to make one color work.

erine1881

Quote: Originally Posted by martiangurll

Anyone know if this foundation has adequate UVA protection or are you using an SPF moisturizer underneath??? If you use a moisturizer, what do you use??? I was thinking of trying the Strobe cream but not sure that has SPF...

strobe cream does not have SPF.

any SPF is adequate when compared to no SPF at all. it just depends on how much sun protection your skin needs.

Shadowy Lady

I noticed that I have better luck with this foundation when I wear it without a base. I just do my moisturizer and then the foundation and also skip setting powder. Oh, and I use the 187 for this, it appplies really well for me
smiles.gif

Hi Ladies -

I really want to try this concealer and foundation, but have to order online as the nearest MAC is 2 hours from me.

My question (and I am sorry if this is a repeat, but this thread got long real quick): What color were you matched to if you are a normal MAC NW20?

Thank you for your help.

erine1881

Hi Ladies -

I really want to try this concealer and foundation, but have to order online as the nearest MAC is 2 hours from me.

My question (and I am sorry if this is a repeat, but this thread got long real quick): What color were you matched to if you are a normal MAC NW20?

Thank you for your help.
nw20

chidarkcy

I got the PLW foundation!!!

I'm normally matched as a NC35 in studio fix, but after a few minutes I would see it go pinkish and since I sweat a lot, never made it through the day without at least 3 retouches...

Now I'm in love with this foundation... really, is amazing. Is so light and yet has great coverage. I wasn't sure about the color, but I took the risk and bought NC30 (since a lot of people said it was darker). It is perfect!! And no more pinkish color
greengrin.gif

Anddd.. my blush stayed a lot more than planned too.

The only downside for me was the lipstick... I got 'Till Tomorrow', and I was very excited but it looks horrible on me
ssad.gif
Ahh, and it lasted on me like 5 hours, which I think is good!).

Now I'll order the concealer
greengrin.gif
Not sure if I should order NW25 (As I was told that tone is my match) or try a NC or NW20 perhaps...

Nzsallyb

i so wanted to try this when i visited the counter, but it hadnt been released! ill have to wait till next time.......

Misoxx

Ahhhhhhh. After a month and a half of getting this foundation, loving it instantly, it helped my face break out beyond anything ever. Definatley the first and last foundation I will be trying from MAC.

I was using Clinique dramatically different moisturising lotion (which I'm sure helped my breakout >_<) and the Pro Longwear looked great. Its a quite heavy moisturiser and so didn't feel dry whatsoever. Just now i've changed moisturisers, this thing looks dreadful. Dry, breakout giving mess. It would look FAB on oily skin, but if your prone to breakouts, I dunno if I would recommend. Its taken about a month for my face to clear up. :'(

Now up for sale.

internetchick

^^ That's too bad. Before you sell it, do you think it just wasn't getting washed off all the way? I know for me, I need to use olive oil on long wearing foundations. I massage the skin with it, and then follow up with my normal face cleanser (usually twice to make sure everything is off). This works like a charm for me.

Mindbear

Thanks for the suggestion, I shall be trying this again. It's imperative my foundation doesn't look like this after such a short time because I get so many pictures taken at work and my job is hot, sweaty, grimy and I wear quite strong make up. Next experiment shall be minus the many potions I use.