MA Rudeness/Bad MAC experiences/Rants

Sushi_Flower

Son Risa, i truly understand the points you have made and i value that you know more about the situation than me and that you know what you are talking about and i do feel for the MAs who are trying their best but are really rushed under their feet.
But i am talking about my counter specifically, i have stopped asking Qs as hardly any of them know any of the basic information and almost every visit i am left with unanswered basic Qs and no desire to be helpfull, i never go in acting like i know everything, i am a very shy quiet person and have already had my confidence knocked by an MA at the counter who left me in tears and these are not new MAs and my counter is never busy when i go, it is always very quiet and i can be the only person there and the MAs are usually not busy doing anything except waiting around to serve.
I also have no desire to complain as i have already made a complaint about a seperate issue (the rude MA) and i don't want to do it again. I am now happy to just accept that i just go in, look myself/test myself and ask for them to ring up stuff at the cash machine except for the 1/2 MAs which are helpfull.
I hope people understand my opinion and don't think i'm being harsh.

Hikaru-chan

I think there's a big difference between an MA who wan't to be there and learn and help the costomer to the best of their ability and one that is just there because they need a job but are not really bothered how they perform at work.

I've recieved some truly awfull customer service from the MAC counter at Selfridges and I'm not in the slightest rude to them so I don't expect them to be rude to me because they don't know they make that particular item.

Fair enough if an MA makes a mistake with a color or whatever but I don't expect it to be on a very regular basis, I personally will make all efforts to try and avoid the MA's who are like that because I don't feel they really want to help me.

I also dont expect them to know about discontinued colors but if they do then great.

We are not all that lucky to have great MA's to help us out and I don't think for one second this topic is aimed to the wonderfull MAC MA's who are on this board.

SonRisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi_Flower
Son Risa, i truly understand the points you have made and i value that you know more about the situation than me and that you know what you are talking about and i do feel for the MAs who are trying their best but are really rushed under their feet.
But i am talking about my counter specifically, i have stopped asking Qs as hardly any of them know any of the basic information and almost every visit i am left with unanswered basic Qs and no desire to be helpfull, i never go in acting like i know everything, i am a very shy quiet person and have already had my confidence knocked by an MA at the counter who left me in tears and these are not new MAs and my counter is never busy when i go, it is always very quiet and i can be the only person there and the MAs are usually not busy doing anything except waiting around to serve.
I also have no desire to complain as i have already made a complaint about a seperate issue (the rude MA) and i don't want to do it again. I am now happy to just accept that i just go in, look myself/test myself and ask for them to ring up stuff at the cash machine except for the 1/2 MAs which are helpfull.
I hope people understand my opinion and don't think i'm being harsh.

oh that's right! I remember now. YOU had that horror story where that asshole made you cry right? Wow. Seriously, if your counter/store is ALWAYS like that, write into maccosmetics.com and encourage anyone else you know who shops at that store and receives shitty treatment to do the same. The president of MAC actually reads all major complaints, and compliments on the website. Which is why I get pissed when I see girls make a huge deal out of nothing and run off to tell the website. Because although sometimes (in your case and I'm sure there's others) it is warranted, I feel like half the time people complain on here or LJ, it's unwarranted and they just want their free _____. And writing into the website DOES get people either in trouble or praised. We see the comments too. I've never received a complaint, but I've seen my compliments. They're always printed anonymously though - just FYI. And about running to complain to get free stuff - I'm not refering to you. Your experience was absolutely disgusting and I'm sorry you had such treatment at MAC.

feebee

I'll admit i've had the odd occasion where i've gone to MAC and been given a blank look when ive asked for a particular product.
But the way i look at it is this... i work in public health, our particular field is infectious diseases, namely gastroenteric. This isnt to say i know (or should be expected to know) everything there is to know about gastroenteric diseases. Sometimes someone will have a query that i cant answer, so i'll have to deferr to a colleague for help or advice... its the same for MAs... as some of you pointed out there are so many products, constant new collections, new/freelance staff etc, they cant be expected to know everything inside out.
Once they are polite and courteous thats all that matters IMO

smiles.gif

user4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Cosmo
I feel very lucky after reading this thread. We only have 2 counters in Tucson ( both at Dillards stores) and I feel that I get excellent service from both counters. I don't purchase every time I go and everyone is always willing to show me whatever I'm interested in. I try not to go on weekends when they are the busiest. My only complaint is that we don't have a freestanding store where I can purchase pan form shadows. I forgot to mention that the MA's are very knowledgeable also.

i know exactly how u feel... im reading all this and i'm like WOW. i go to a freestanding stor 99% of the time cuz well the counter at MACYs sucks and the people are rude, but they people are ALL rude in MACYs so i cant say its a MAC thing, MACYs just doesnt have a great hiring policy, at least not the one in Manhattan. But anyways, the freestanding stores I go to are awsome and the guys n girls are sooo great. I mean sometimes they're a little pushy to make a sale but I get that's their job... but that's pretty much my only complaint. they are so great... they know their stuff... and they even know me!!!

giz2000

I have to agree with SonRisa and ProfessionalTart's posts...as a freelancer (and former counter MA), I see new MAs and freelancers aked questions all the time...questions to which they may not know the answers to. Remember, a lot of counters (at least in my region) use freelancers to fill in counter hours, and those freelancers may not have had any training to speak of...so give them a break.

As for bad service at a counter, there are two ways to take care of that: write to MAC and let them know (they do read the complaints...and compliments!) and (2) find another counter. Take your valuable business, time and money somewhere where you will be valued...those counters/MAs do exist.

Sushi_Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonRisa
oh that's right! I remember now. YOU had that horror story where that asshole made you cry right? Wow. Seriously, if your counter/store is ALWAYS like that, write into maccosmetics.com and encourage anyone else you know who shops at that store and receives shitty treatment to do the same. The president of MAC actually reads all major complaints, and compliments on the website. Which is why I get pissed when I see girls make a huge deal out of nothing and run off to tell the website. Because although sometimes (in your case and I'm sure there's others) it is warranted, I feel like half the time people complain on here or LJ, it's unwarranted and they just want their free _____. And writing into the website DOES get people either in trouble or praised. We see the comments too. I've never received a complaint, but I've seen my compliments. They're always printed anonymously though - just FYI. And about running to complain to get free stuff - I'm not refering to you. Your experience was absolutely disgusting and I'm sorry you had such treatment at MAC.

I'm glad you understand, that's what i was trying to make everyone understand, that it is my counter specifically i am referring to and it is not a few small mistakes or not knowing detailed info about something, it is consistently bad service and SAs not being able to answer Qs or having no interest to answer Qs.
And i truly do not want to complain anymore, the complaint i was pushed to make by an SA herself (one of the nice/good ones) at the same counter about that guy was hard enough for me and was dragged out and i had to recieve long phone calls by MAC which i was uncomfortable about and i felt like i was making a fuss and also i feel it made me even more uncomfortable about going back to my counter as obviosuly the manager knew about it and the guy involved and possibly few other SAs or maybe all of them and i just feel self concious about it now when i go in. Also i was given a free brush by MAC headquarters and a free makeover by the manager at my counter and both these things were very nice of them but i felt uncomfortable about it, rather than get anything free i wanted the MA to be sorted out and through all the emails, phonecalls and personal talks i was never once told that anything was being done about him or that he had even been told to improve his customer service or even told about the complaint. An apology from him to me would have been more gratefully recieved than getting a free brush or a free makeover done while he was working just next to me and me left wondering if the actual issue had been solved or if i was just given free stuff to make me happy/forget the situation.

Today i went to my counter to just buy a Botanical e/s, i planned to just go in and out with it, but the SA there was hanging around me so i acted accordingly and tried to make conversation about the product, she swatched other colours next to the Botanical for me to show the colour combinations which was helpfull but i wasn't planning on buying anything else. And then 2 other SAs who were doing eachothers makeup in the corner kind of said something to the SA serving me which i didn't hear and they looked at me knowingly with eachother and did a kind of 'in-joke' laugh with eachother and then carrying on from that little exchange the SA serving me comes out with ''you're always on the MAC aren't you'' and she said it in such a mocking way and as if i was wierd and sad with no life and silly for buying alot of MAC. I felt like the SAs must talk about me or something and i felt so annoyed that the first time i go back to my counter in a long time (a long time because apart from the products i don't like going to my counter for these very reasons) i get made to feel this way..So i'm afraid my negative view on my counter is yet again confirmed in even a short visit after a very long time.
ssad.gif

Anyway my views are obviously not directed at any other MAs, i can't comment on them, just the ones i've dealt with, but sounds like everyone here who's an MA is great at their job and it's a shame that i don't get to be served by them.

litlaur

Lack of knowledge usually doesn't bother me, just attitude. Thankfully, I don't get that at the store I go to now
smiles.gif

All this kind of reminds me of restaurant servers. I've never been a server, but my boyfriend and most of my friends have. Generally they're supposed to remember all the items on the menu, and some restaurants require you to remember menu descriptions, ingredients and how it's prepared. Are they actually going to remember everything exactly? Probably not. The service industry can be very hard, but it also can be very low-paying. True - some people aren't cut out for it (like rude MAs). If you can't deal with people, this is not the job for you. But the ones who are good at it and work hard often get treated like shit.

By the way, this isn't directed at anyone, I'm just ranting.

gigiproductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxychika1014
i know exactly how u feel... im reading all this and i'm like WOW. i go to a freestanding stor 99% of the time cuz well the counter at MACYs sucks and the people are rude, but they people are ALL rude in MACYs so i cant say its a MAC thing, MACYs just doesnt have a great hiring policy, at least not the one in Manhattan. But anyways, the freestanding stores I go to are awsome and the guys n girls are sooo great. I mean sometimes they're a little pushy to make a sale but I get that's their job... but that's pretty much my only complaint. they are so great... they know their stuff... and they even know me!!!

yep i hate the macys and bloomingdales counters in NYC! they are soooo effin rude, stank and snotty

oh shit im am going to write a long letter bashing the bloomies counter on 59th!
i cant stand those bitches!
LOL!

i always send in praise for the Soho and Pro store and my fav artists..its my way to help them after they have helped me.

panties

god i had my share of bitchy freelancers....as much as i wanted to complain about them to mac's customer service, my MA didn't want me to because it would have affected her store...actually 2 of the bitchy freelancers quit a while later *thank god* so what i did instead is i bought and i still buy my MA some lovely pastries from time to time to remind her that she's wonderful. i'm sure all the good MA's would like to be reminded that they are awesome. =D

user4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigiproductions
yep i hate the macys and bloomingdales counters in NYC! they are soooo effin rude, stank and snotty

oh shit im am going to write a long letter bashing the bloomies counter on 59th!
i cant stand those bitches!
LOL!

i always send in praise for the Soho and Pro store and my fav artists..its my way to help them after they have helped me.

i always go to flatiron.... i love them. they are so freaking sweet. i've only ever had one complaint about someone there and i think he was just having a bad day or something cuz the next time i came in he was so sweet to me... i think he's gone now though. i've only been to the one in soho twice, the people there see, super nice too... the ones at the pro store are great too actually... i've never been to the one at bloomies, thats for telling me this, cuz now i'll def not go!!!

saucipinkbabydoll

Thanks SonRisa! I was feeling kinda small LOL! Over half of our MA's are new including me. Thank God for specktra! A note also some newbies don't even go to basic right away. A few of our MA's just went to basic and they started last spring!

Sophia84

We just got Culturebloom here, and they had only 3 of the 4 lipglasses there, Budding the one I wanted to get was missing and I ask an MA that there was supposed to be 4 lipglasses with Culturebloom and the one was missing, she was sooooooo suprised she had a such idiot look on her face and she told me "Really???? I didn't know that! Hmmmmm sorry but it seems we don't have it"!!!!!!!!!! OMG what a clueless answer!!!!!!!!!!!

Wattage

haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia84
We just got Culturebloom here, and they had only 3 of the 4 lipglasses there, Budding the one I wanted to get was missing and I ask an MA that there was supposed to be 4 lipglasses with Culturebloom and the one was missing, she was sooooooo suprised she had a such idiot look on her face and she told me "Really???? I didn't know that! Hmmmmm sorry but it seems we don't have it"!!!!!!!!!! OMG what a clueless answer!!!!!!!!!!!

That's so funny that you say that. When I went to check out CB @ my MAC counter, I asked for an Iris Print and the SA was like "OK!!" (she was really very nice, btw), she came back to me with Beautiful Iris and I was like "Oh sorry, I wanted Iris Print". She was like "Ummm, I don't think we have that shade, you mean Beautiful Iris, right?" And so I say "No, it's the new royal blue/purple shade in the CB collection - it's right there (pointing to it on the shelf)." Although she was very nice I was a little amazed that she didn't even know a product in a new line.

I have to say that I agree that it is truly the biatch sales people that piss me off most - anywhere, anytime. While most of the time I receive good or exceptional service, it really only takes one nasty SA @ MAC to put me off. And when I say SA I mean the Sales Assistants usually are rude. I find very seldom the actual make-up artists (one's with formal training) are rude or unhelpful. They are almost always polite, helpful and knowledgeable. I feel sorry for them - they really do run around like chickens with their heads cut off. Strangely enough, the rudest MAC SA I have ever come across was a guy. Go figure!

This is the way I figure it - I am at MAC so much that I am bound to have greater odds of having a bad experience every now and then. I brush it off, go home, do the product research myself, play with my new make up and be glad that I don't have a job in which I am completely miserable some or all of the time.

smiles.gif

Chelly

didnt mean to stir up drama my loves but i was just annoyed n decided to vent - i'm sure you've all had your days <3

allan_willb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi_Flower
I'm glad you understand, that's what i was trying to make everyone understand, that it is my counter specifically i am referring to and it is not a few small mistakes or not knowing detailed info about something, it is consistently bad service and SAs not being able to answer Qs or having no interest to answer Qs.
And i truly do not want to complain anymore, the complaint i was pushed to make by an SA herself (one of the nice/good ones) at the same counter about that guy was hard enough for me and was dragged out and i had to recieve long phone calls by MAC which i was uncomfortable about and i felt like i was making a fuss and also i feel it made me even more uncomfortable about going back to my counter as obviosuly the manager knew about it and the guy involved and possibly few other SAs or maybe all of them and i just feel self concious about it now when i go in. Also i was given a free brush by MAC headquarters and a free makeover by the manager at my counter and both these things were very nice of them but i felt uncomfortable about it, rather than get anything free i wanted the MA to be sorted out and through all the emails, phonecalls and personal talks i was never once told that anything was being done about him or that he had even been told to improve his customer service or even told about the complaint. An apology from him to me would have been more gratefully recieved than getting a free brush or a free makeover done while he was working just next to me and me left wondering if the actual issue had been solved or if i was just given free stuff to make me happy/forget the situation.

Today i went to my counter to just buy a Botanical e/s, i planned to just go in and out with it, but the SA there was hanging around me so i acted accordingly and tried to make conversation about the product, she swatched other colours next to the Botanical for me to show the colour combinations which was helpfull but i wasn't planning on buying anything else. And then 2 other SAs who were doing eachothers makeup in the corner kind of said something to the SA serving me which i didn't hear and they looked at me knowingly with eachother and did a kind of 'in-joke' laugh with eachother and then carrying on from that little exchange the SA serving me comes out with ''you're always on the MAC aren't you'' and she said it in such a mocking way and as if i was wierd and sad with no life and silly for buying alot of MAC. I felt like the SAs must talk about me or something and i felt so annoyed that the first time i go back to my counter in a long time (a long time because apart from the products i don't like going to my counter for these very reasons) i get made to feel this way..So i'm afraid my negative view on my counter is yet again confirmed in even a short visit after a very long time.
ssad.gif

Anyway my views are obviously not directed at any other MAs, i can't comment on them, just the ones i've dealt with, but sounds like everyone here who's an MA is great at their job and it's a shame that i don't get to be served by them.

I thought that the MAC employees are NOT supposed to apply,re-apply or touch of their make up at the counter/store?Also sushi, it really seems to me like your are really not being treated the right way at the counter.If I was you I would'nt wanna shop there too!I'd feel too uncomfortable around that kind of people. :confused:
ssad.gif

Also yes, all of the MAC MA's on here are the shit!They all know there stuff like the back of there hand.It's also nice that we can always ask for help or recommendations from them.Thanks guys.
smiles.gif

misswilliam

certain MUA are just not a good fit for certain customers. but i agree that they should know the current stock. one time my friend asked me to buy her 'pushup plum' and i went in to buy it to be given a quizzical look and she said 'i have never heard of that colour we dont stock it'
as i was walking out i happened to browse the lingere stand and i saw it! its really not good for business if the SA doesent know her stock!

and this is what happened to me the other day

'hi, can you show me where the eye kohls are kept?'
her: 'the what?'
'the eye kohls'
her: 'i dont know what you mean'
the eye pencils
her: 'OH! ok here they are' (dumps them in front of me and walks off)

so i select a few colours and then finally she comes back as i was starting to look at the eyeshadows.
i asked her 'which of these blues do you think would suit me better, this blue pencil or this blue eyshadow?'
to which she replied 'either really. i like this blue personally' (and she proceeds to pick out this irridescent discoball of a colour'

rrrrrrrright. thanks for the help!

Eemaan

i have to also back up what sushi is saying here as i used to frequent the store she is talking about. Its a up market designer shopping mall type thing and occupies the only mac we have in our 20 mile vicinity. Yes the MAs are rude and know little about the products. and yes they do look at you as if you couldnt possbily buy or afford their mac.

Ive had MA's ignore me and serve customers who walked in after, patronise me about what a pigment is and in general give attitude. Having said this, i have always called mac when ive recieved very good customer service. I mail order now and its great, the operator MAs are wonderful, very non judgmental and accomodating.

Sushi, if you need the number let me know hon. its £3 deliver for orders below £20 and £5 for orders above. and you can always return stuff- and they send samples too
smiles.gif

we're human, we need praise and acknowledgement

(apologies for poor spellings, am dyslexic and cannot always spot my own typing errors
smiles.gif
)

Personally speaking I had great customer service when I was in America (San Francisco) but the customer service here in England is awful!

I'm a regular at my local counter (Debenhams, Meadowhall) and spend a lot of money there, all the MA's know me by sight and all but one of them (the manager) are consistently rude to me - ignoring me even when there's 6 of them hanging out behind the counter not doing anything and no other customers. I look pretty young and it's as if they don't take me seriously! Which is ridiculous because they know I buy pretty much every collection.

The best counter I've been to is the House of Fraser one in Bluewater. The girls there are lovely, always really friendly and helpful. The counter in Harvey Nicks in London is good too. I've emailed MAC and praised those 2 counters. I'd feel mean for complaining about the Meadowhall one, I just don't go there unless I have to.