Scars - treatment & causes

Stina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJPFan
Couple of weeks ago, I noticed a scar treatment I hadn't tried yet at Target called acnefree. It came with a scar treatment and a moisturizer. The scar treatment contains 2% hydoquinone and oxygen peptide-a and the formula is a time released one so I figured it couldn't hurt to try.

This sounds interesting! Do you know if they carry this anywhere else? I'm in Canada and we don't have Target here =( The only thing I could find is a three step system also called AcneFree mostly containing Benzoyl Peroxide. Would you happen to have a picture maybe? TIA!

DCJPFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stina
This sounds interesting! Do you know if they carry this anywhere else? I'm in Canada and we don't have Target here =( The only thing I could find is a three step system also called AcneFree mostly containing Benzoyl Peroxide. Would you happen to have a picture maybe? TIA!

Here's a link to the product from their own website:

http://www.acnefree.com/node/39

I have seen it pretty much everywhere around here, at target, walmart, walgreens, CVS, etc...

I also bought the three step system and have been using it as well and although I don't like jinxing myself this early in the game, I haven't had a single breakout since. I've also stopped using the scar treatment twice a day and now only use it once a day as all my dark spots are mostly gone. This is the result of about 2 weeks of using the product twice a day. However, I have been experiencing a lot of dryness/flaky skin so it is not an all in all perfect product, however, it's worth the results in my opinion. Let me know if I can help with anything else
smiles.gif

luvme4me

I did a series of microdermabrasion awhile back and it helped my skin alot but then I broke out around the same area but differ spots. Anyway so I ended up with a whole bunch of red dots, I remnbered I still had some glycerin acid peel and I have been using it just in the area of my red dots and it has made a huge difference. I am amzed but I was wondering if anyone knows where they sell this kind of peel? Its prob illegal to sell this over the counter, since my facialst gave me special made one thats not as strong as the one they use but its little bit but its worth a shoot to ask.

Finally, I found a resource for healing scars! I've been looking for one. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, so just having scars drives me crazy, whther I'm looking at them or not.
ssad.gif

NikkiHorror

I don't have a problem with darkness or redness, but my main concerns are the pretty deep pit-like indentions, or pockmarks in a few areas on my face. I've had acne since 1st grade, but I don't remember when those zits came and went. I definatley picked at my face. These scars could be 15 or 16 years old!!! I need something to lessen the appearance of the pock-marks.

I'm using LUSH's Ocean Salt as my exfoliator daily, but I haven't noticed a big difference. I know Philosophy makes a Microdermabrasion kit that contains Vitamin C, but I don't know how that would work against scarring.

Would Mederma work? Or is that only to battle darkness from new scars? There's a CVS right down the street from my house where I can pick that up.

An aesthtician friend of my said the best results would come from Laser Skin Resurfacing. This is a process where the acne scarred skin is gently vaporized, with the use of a laser. Once the damaged skin is vaporized, the new - unscarred - skin underneath is visible and replaces the old skin.

I wonder how expensive that is. Please reccomend something!!
ssad.gif

Calhoune

Hello
smiles.gif

I personally have no experience with acne scars, but I do have other ones and the only thing that has really worked for me is time. They do fade, but it takes a while.
I have used some E-vitamin creams, but I can't say I've seen any difference.

This link might be helpful to you, it was to me, the difference between these types of scars and acne scars aren't that big:
http://forum.psyke.org/viewtopic.php?t=26838

I actually find that Neosporin works really well. It's for cuts and things, but works well on acne scars as well.

Simply apply a dot directly onto the scar after you wash and moisturize your face. I usually put it on before bed, or I keep reapplying it through out the day if I'm staying home. Don't wipe it off and don't apply it under makeup though; it will smudge the makeup.

I find it lightened my significantly noticable scars in a week! Good luck!

NikkiHorror

I just got home from CVS Pharmacy, my like favorit-o store in the world, lol. I wanted to let you know my finding:

I was checking out all of the different scar treatments, and the best one I came across (as far as price and ingredients go) was PreVentin-AT Advanced Scar Therapy Vanishing Intensive Serum.
tong.gif
hew: Contains anti-oxidants, Rosehip Oil, Wheat Protein and Onion Bulb Extract (onion extract was in all of the scar treatments I looked at!) As well as other clinically proven stuff.

I checked out Mederma and that stuff was $32 bucks for like 5 ingredients, crapola! I paid $15 for PreVentin-AT, we'll see how it works!
smiles.gif

adorkable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiHorror
I don't have a problem with darkness or redness, but my main concerns are the pretty deep pit-like indentions, or pockmarks in a few areas on my face. I've had acne since 1st grade, but I don't remember when those zits came and went. I definatley picked at my face. These scars could be 15 or 16 years old!!! I need something to lessen the appearance of the pock-marks.

I'm using LUSH's Ocean Salt as my exfoliator daily, but I haven't noticed a big difference. I know Philosophy makes a Microdermabrasion kit that contains Vitamin C, but I don't know how that would work against scarring.

Would Mederma work? Or is that only to battle darkness from new scars? There's a CVS right down the street from my house where I can pick that up.

An aesthtician friend of my said the best results would come from Laser Skin Resurfacing. This is a process where the acne scarred skin is gently vaporized, with the use of a laser. Once the damaged skin is vaporized, the new - unscarred - skin underneath is visible and replaces the old skin.

I wonder how expensive that is. Please reccomend something!!
ssad.gif

That's pretty much my problem too. I have a TON of the red spots, but I know those fade on their own over time. The pitted scars last forever, so even when my skin is clear, it still looks bumpy and gross. I've recently been going to the dermatologist for my acne and also been getting chemical peels once a month. The first peel was a 70% solution (I can't remember which acid they use); the second was a 90% solution, and my next one and all consecutive will be 99%. So far I have noticed my skin looks smoother. It's still pitted, but they don't seem as deep. I'm really hoping to see more of a result with the next one, but if I don't see a significant result after two or three of the 99% ones, I'll probably stop getting them done. They're $95 each, which is worth it to me if I see results, having tried everything else under the sun with no results, but I can't keep spending that kind of money every month if my skin will never be as smooth as I want it. I go in on Tuesday for my next one, and I may end up asking about the laser resurfacing.

alaylam

Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I recently started using evening primrose oil for acne. I don't get a lot of acne, but on the occasion that a blemish or two will pop up, they're pretty big and ugly. I take it orally and also spot-apply it to the affected area as it reduces inflammation and promotes new cell growth, thereby decreasing scarring, etc.

I recommend googling evening primrose oil, it actually has many many beneficial uses from PMS to arthritis and other skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, and so on.

Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvme4me
I did a series of microdermabrasion awhile back and it helped my skin alot but then I broke out around the same area but differ spots. Anyway so I ended up with a whole bunch of red dots, I remnbered I still had some glycerin acid peel and I have been using it just in the area of my red dots and it has made a huge difference. I am amzed but I was wondering if anyone knows where they sell this kind of peel? Its prob illegal to sell this over the counter, since my facialst gave me special made one thats not as strong as the one they use but its little bit but its worth a shoot to ask.

I just started using Natura Bisse's GlycoLine Glycolic Acid Peel. I'm not sure if that's the same

etude

Try bio-oil.. its avaliable at walgreens, rite aid, duane read. www.bio-oil.com
Its used for scars, stretch marks, uneven skin tone, aging skin and dehydrated skin.

Im using it so far and it has made my skin very soft.
greengrin.gif

missymaricel

Actual scarring that has left deep recesses in the skin called "ice pick acne scars" normally caused by cystic pimples are permanent and there is no miracle cream out there in the market to treat these. Your only option is through surgical methods that will fill in those spots via injections to raise the skin level to match the rest of your healthy skin. Some women think the dark spots left from zits are considered scars. These naturally fade within a few weeks to a few months with or without treatment and are rarely ever permanent. Those expensive "miracle" acne scar treatments only speed up this fading process. They can never actually cure scars that have modified the texture of your complexion. Surgical resurfacing is the only way to go.

xiahe

i found mederma at target the other day, but it was mederma for kids - is that the only mederma that they have? i was just curious. and ik it's good for scars, but what about acne scars?

valley

I live in Canada - and this thread is so long I honestly havent read all of it to know where you live. But I have several dark cystic acne scars on my cheeks and jaw line.

If I have a flare up, I use clean and clear persagel benzoyl peroxide 5% till 'it stops growing' then I use polysporin and a bandaid to reduce redness and aid healing over night. Every morning I use Neostrata 8% glycolic acid toner (from shopper's drug mart or london drugs) and I always use a good facial sunscreen.

My red marks have lightened considerably and I will continue to do the same routine. I have oily/acne prone skin and I hope that helps some. I have found the benzoyl peroxide products to actually make the scars worse so I use it sparingly and always follow up with polysporin.

jennzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis
Plastic Surgery! If I can afford is someday, or better yet work for one
smiles.gif

just to let u know plastic surgery will not get rid of ur scars.
they'll give u a different scar that will be more acceptable.

i had a scar revision on my chicken pox scar and the doctor said i'll never be able to get rid of them. but he can make it a new scar which will be less noticable. a year later its definately less noticable its not as deep as it was a year before. but its still there and i can still see it. so i'm going for laser resurfacing which i'll need 3-4 treatments of it. that's my plan for next summer. i'm hoping then it'll be really less noticable to me. because i will do anything to get rid of holes on my face!!!

dollbabybex

i have quite raised scars from my breast implants
i had the openation 10 months ago
does anyone know if laser surgery on scars works?

SparklingWaves

I bought this stuff called Prefer On for Scars. It does fade the marks. I use it day and night. It's very easy to use. It's in a push up tube and you just rub it on the spot. But as I said, you have to do this at least 2x/day. It's working for me.

Staceypie0616

I've been using Mederma too, but you really have to apply it 3-5 times a day to work. IOW, carry it in your purse and apply throughout the day.